Today was the day we went to the US Consulate to take our oath. We met Connie at 2pm in the hotel lobby to travel there, which was about 1/2 hour away. Before that, we just had breakfast and hung out in the room.
At the Consulate they don't allow pictures or video, which of course I miss having. The office is on the 5th floor of a large office building.
We took the escalator up. First they checked our passports, then we went through security. We had to leave any electronics, etc. there, so I just left my backpack. Then we went into a large room with lots of chairs. At the front of the room there were a number of windows, like at a bank. When the time came, several people sat at 3 of the windows and started calling names. They would say the Chinese names of the children and sometimes they weren't easy to understand either, so we had to listen very carefully for Taylor's name. When her name was called, we went to the window and they looked at our passports to make sure they matched the paperwork and also at Taylor to make sure she matched, then we sat back down. When all 33 families had their turn at that part of the process, a woman came out and spoke to us. She was in charge of the adoption immigration unit (or maybe even more). She told us that out of all the adoptions that happen from China, there are 7 people that work there that handle one third of them. (at least I think that's the way she said it) After she spoke about a few things, she had us all stand up and raise our right hands. Then we repeated the oath after her. I wish I had a copy of it. Maybe I'll email to see if they can give it to me. Basically it had us promise that all the information that we had given them was correct to the best of our knowledge.
Then we were finished! Connie goes back tomorrow to pick up the passport along with a precious brown envelope that we have to guard with our lives and turn in at immigration when we arrive in the US (at Newark). Taylor will become a US citizen in New Jersey!
We were able to take a picture inside the building showing the flag.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 comments:
So cute to see Taylor wearing a jacket in this picture. Mayleea was ALWAYS cold wherever we went. I didn't think of bringing a sweatshirt and it took forever to find one there. Then I could only find a hot pink one. I'm sure you all are excited to get home...Look forward to talking when you get back home.
I'm so happy for you all. Love the girls polka dot dresses! If you get back by Sunday, the 5th, our SS Class is eating at the college cafeteria and then to Billy Graham Ctr to hear Tim talk about his exhibit. I'm sure we would all love to meet Taylor --she's a doll! Love, Barb
Actually the dresses have stars on them, not polka dots. If you click on the picture, you can see a larger version. We don't get home until Tuesday evening so we won't be able to make it to the SS class outing.
Post a Comment