The story of our adoption of Taylor, our Rainbow from Beihai, Guangxi

Thursday, September 23, 2010

First Day of School

(I'm writing this on 10/8 but posting as 9/23)

Today was Taylor's 1st day of school.  We have to drive her until they get the bus set up for her.  I think she was excited to go to school.  She is going to a school in our district where they have ESL classes for each grade level.  About half of the kids at the school of over 500 kids are in the ESL program.  Unfortunately there aren't many Chinese kids there.  But there is a Chinese girl in her class that also started this week!!  How great is that!!!  At least she will have 1 person she can talk to.  The teacher and the principal seems very good about meeting her where she is.  She will probably be pulled out of her class (5-6 grade ESL) for certain subjects.  

There was a little communication error on lunch though.  I sent her to school with a thermos of Ramen noodles, but I think she didn't understand when they went to lunch.  We got a note from the lunch ladies that she didn't have a lunch so they gave her spaghetti.  Oh well, at least she didn't go totally hungry.  

 

2 comments:

China Dreams said...

If she's like our son, she probably enjoyed the spaghetti anyway. He just loves long noodles. Just noticed the flag in the background is at half mast. Doesn't seem to have bothered her, though-lovely smile :-)

Ruby

Rose Duhaime said...

Hi Priscilla

I hope all is well with you, with Taylor and Chelsea and Kylie (sorry if I've gotten the spelling wrong). I lost your email. If I have your current phone number, I left you a message today. I have someone who is looking at my son's foster brother's file, and they are hoping to talk to someone who has adopted an older child....my son's foster brother will be 10 years old in a week. I think Tayloer was 9 when you adopted her? I think she was primarily in an orphanage? I also am asking permission to share your blog.

Warmest Regards
Rose
mom to Logan and Angelina